Guide: How to convert AVI, WMV, MPEG, DVD and more to Apple TV video for Windows & Mac
1) Video formats supported by Apple TV
2) How to convert DVD to Apple TV (MP4, MP3) for Windows?
3) How to convert video files to Apple TV on Windows PC? (Including AVI to Apple TV, MPEG to Apple TV, WMV to Apple TV, MOV to Apple TV, RM to Apple TV, DivX to Apple TV, MPG to to Apple TV, ASF to Apple TV video MP4, etc.)
4) Apple TV Video Converter for Mac: How to rip DVD to Apple TV MP4/MP3/AAC for Mac, convert various video/movie files to Apple TV on Mac OS X?
Part1: Before converting, please view which file formats Apple TV carries:
Video formats: MPEG-4: up to 640 by 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile. H.264: 640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile; 320 by 240, 30 fps, Baseline profile up to Level 1.3; 1280 by 720, 24 fps, Progressive Main Profile. The videos purchased from iTunes store are supported.
Audio formats: MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps); AAC (16 to 320 Kbps); MP3 VBR; Apple Lossless; AIFF; WAV.
Part2: Rip DVD to Apple TV, iPod for Windows
1. Download DVD to Apple TV/iPod Video Suite, install and run it.
Hints: The software includes DVD to iPod/Apple TV converter and iPod/Apple TV Video Converter, which can convert DVD and all popular video formats to Apple TV (MP4/H.264 up to 1280x720), iPod, iPhone, iPad and iTunes.
Related software: DVD to iPad converter
2. Run DVD Converter component, insert the DVD movie you'd like to convert into the DVD-ROM drive, load your DVD by clicking 'Open DVD' button.
3. As usual, the DVD movie has several subtitles and lauguages (audio track) like English, German, French, etc. Please select one according to your need.
4. Set 'Profile' as 'Apple TV (1280x720) MPEG-4 movie' (H.264 codec). If you want to customize the output format, just go to 'Setting' menu, click 'Output video settings'. Here, you can set 'video codec', 'frame rate', 'video size', 'bitrate', 'volume', aspect ratio and more parameters.
Hints: The software supports converting to 'Apple TV video', 'iPod MPEG-4 movie', 'iPod H.264', 'iPod TV', 'MP3'.
5. Hit 'Convert' button to start ripping DVDs.
6. Drag the result .mp4 file(s) into iTunes library (click 'File -> Add File to Library' menu). Then, sync the media to your Apple TV device.
Hints: Before transferring video to Apple TV from iTunes, you can check the movies using iTunes or Quicktime Player on your computer.
Part3: Apple TV Video Converter Tutorial for Windows - How to convert MPEG to Apple TV; AVI to Apple TV; DivX, MOV, Rm, ASF, MPG, Xvid, WMV to Apple TV and iPod
1. Download DVD to Apple TV/iPod Video Suite, which can rip DVD and movie files to Apple TV, iTunes and iPod.
2. Run Video Converter component, click 'Open file' button to add the media file(s). The software supports batch Apple TV conversion.
3. Before converting, you can also click 'Advance' to set the optional parameters like output format, codec, video size, etc.
4. Begin to convert by hitting 'Convert'.
5. Add the converted .mp4 file(s) into iTunes library, and sync to Apple TV.
Part4: How to convert DVD and video to Apple TV, iPod for Mac
1. Download DVD to Apple TV Converter for Mac or Apple TV Video Converter for Mac. The former can rip DVD to Apple TV, iPod. While the latter can convert various video files to Apple TV and iPod.
2. DVD to Apple TV: click 'DVD' button to load your DVD movie, check the title(s) or chapter(s) you'd like to rip. And set the output file format, audio track, subtitle, video quality, audio quality from the right panel. Then rip DVDs by clicking 'Convert'. You can also rip DVD segment and adjust more options by going to 'Advance' tab.
Video to Apple TV: Click 'Add' button to load the video file(s), set the output format from 'Profile', choose the video size from the right panel, then start batch converting.
3. Transfer the result MP4 file(s) to iTunes, and put onto Apple TV.
See also: How to connect Apple TV, widesreen TV and wireless computer network?